Tuesday, March 24, 2009

What's in a NAME?

My name is Jhoanna.
For some reason, I did not like my name when I was a little kid. I always thought it was very hard for some to pronounce and even remember. I also had an idea that people always forget my name becuase it was a three syllable word JHO-WA-NNA. it was kinda hard for some to remember names with three syllables and i wanted my name to be a two syllable word but it was not what i had. Some of my friends have shorter names, which means TWO SYLLABLE WORD.

This meant that they were always remembered by people and by those they dont even know. I did not like the feeling at all. At times i felt invisible and worst, i felt unlovable. Many would think that its just a name but for me it reflects how we are seen or remembered by people. If people do not remember your name it is the same with you as a person --forgotten.
As a teacher by profession, it has always been my policy that my students remember my name. This is due to the fact that students can really have some "good words" when describing their professors. So, for them to remember my name I sometimes include it in my exams.*wink* Although this is a good strategy for students to remember me, it is inevitable that some of them still forgets my name. Actually, i have been given different names already, some are funny some are really out of to his world.
i appreciate students who remember my name and it is also my goal to remember all their names inspite of the difficulty of matching faces and names. There is always a sense of fulfillment in my part when i remember their names even if they are already my former students. There is also the same feeling of fulfillment when my former students remember my name. It is a constant reminder that in some ways i might have really touched their lives. That in the journey of our lives we have seen and been part of that life.
I have always wanted my name to be remembered. Luckily, I got that from my profession and my students.
Now, I have learned to love the name that i have. I have also loved the person that owns that name.
**Speaking of names, here's what my name says about me.*(from www.blogthings.com)
Your name says that you are mostly:
Talented but unmotivated
Your name also says you are:
Independent but distant
Moral but jealous
Ambitious but stubborn

No comments: